Saturday, August 21, 2010

once upon a time



Dear Dad,

It is August 2010. Even though August means the end of summer and the start of school is just around the corner, August is about good times. It's about getting the most out of the great outdoors because after the sun goes down there's a chill in the air. It's about have a wicked time at the campground even though it rained. Its about getting new clothes and new "indoor" shoes for school.

August is a month of notable anniversaries, such as the deaths of Elvis Presley on August 16, 1977 and Princess Diana on August 31 exactly 20 years later. August is a month of celebrations, good friends celebrating birthdays, the wedding anniversary of my Brother, our favourite cousins and of course yours and Mum's.

I've seen Pearl Jam three times in the month of August. The first time was 17 years ago, 10 years ago I saw them for the third time in New Orleans and one year ago, on August 21 I saw them for the fifth time in Toronto at the Molson Amphitheatre.

That day was perfect, it was hot and sunny and the night couldn't have been nicer had I custom ordered it. The funny thing is, the day before, Toronto saw torrential rains and a hurricane was predicted for the day after the show. During the show Eddie Vedder commented that good karma was responsible for the great weather that night.

I was staying with my good friend, who was celebrating an August birthday and we had plans for the rest of the weekend but the looming hurricane changed everything. I called home not knowing whether to stay or come home, airlines were changing flights and there was a chance if I stayed I may not get home for days. I was torn until I spoke to you on the phone. You simply said, "come home". There was no wishy washy-ness about it, just "come home". Come home I did.

Although the hurricane didn't happen the weather was still pretty nasty and being safe at home with my family was more valuable than I knew at the time.

Every second of every day is a gift. Hug the ones you love and always kiss them goodnight.

Love Poopsie

1 comment: